Adobe Flash Player: End Of Support And How To Uninstall
In recent years, the Adobe Flash Player plug-in for viewing multimedia content has been supplanted by the new HTML5 technology, which does not require the installation of a special program. Therefore, Adobe has decided to end support for Flash Player on December 31, 2020 . Here we cover what you need to know for users who still have Adobe Flash Player on their devices and give you step-by-step instructions on how to remove it.
Why is Adobe Flash Player outdated
The open standards HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly provide much more power than Flash Player, and also have much better protection against viruses and intrusions. Therefore, these technologies are integrated into the most common browsers. As a result, major browsers such as Microsoft Edge and Safari are dropping support for the plugin. Back in 2017, Adobe decided to end its support at the end of 2020. Within three years, developers, designers, IT companies and users could prepare for this and, if necessary, transfer multimedia content to new standards.
For example, Microsoft will end support for Adobe Flash Player in the Edge Chromium browser and outdated versions of Edge, as well as in Internet Explorer 11 from the end of 2020. Apple Safari for macOS version 14 (September 2020) and later browser versions for Apple devices will no longer work with Adobe Flash Player . On this page you can see the latest list of browsers and operating systems that still support Flash. It is important to understand that their number will decrease over time .
Will it be possible to download Flash Player after support ends
In late 2020, Adobe will remove Flash Player download pages from all of its sites and block Flash content from running in Adobe Flash Player.
We can assume that downloads of Adobe Flash Player on non-Adobe third-party pages will continue to work after December 31, 2020. However, Adobe urges users not to download the plugin from these sites .
“Unauthorized downloads are a common source of malware and viruses. Adobe is not responsible for unauthorized versions of Flash Player, and if you use such versions, you do so solely at your own risk, ”- reads the official message from Adobe.
What to do with the program?
A large number of bugs have already accumulated in Flash Player, and in the future, without any support, the number of bugs and gaps will only increase. As such, Adobe strongly recommends that all users uninstall Flash Player before the plugin’s expiration date, which is December 31, 2020 . Below, we show you how to uninstall Flash Player on PC and Mac.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
How to uninstall Adobe Flash Player on Windows
To uninstall Flash Player on a Windows computer , you must first download the official Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller .
- After downloading the uninstaller, you need to close all browsers, windows, tabs and applications that are currently open. The uninstaller does not work if any programs that use Flash are open.
- Double clock on uninstaller to start the process.
- You will be prompted to confirm, select Yes .
- Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to restart your computer.
- When you return to the home screen, press Windows + R at the same time to display the Execute command .
- Copy and paste the following code and then click OK : C: \ Windows \ system32 \ Macromed \ Flash
- This will open the above folder. Delete all files in this folder.
- Now repeat this process for the following folders: C: \ Windows \ SysWOW64 \ Macromed \ Flash
% appdata% \ Adobe \ Flash Player
% appdata% \ Macromedia \ Flash Player
- Reboot your computer. Adobe Flash Player should now be completely removed.
How to uninstall Adobe Flash Player on Mac
To uninstall Flash Player for Mac , you need to download the official Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller first. There are two different versions of the uninstaller depending on your version of Mac OS, so you need to first determine which version you need.
- After downloading the file, the uninstaller appears in the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the uninstaller icon and open the file when prompted.
- When launching the uninstaller, you will need to close all open browsers, windows, tabs and applications that are currently open. The uninstaller will not work if anything is currently using Flash.
- The uninstaller will continue to run and notify you of completion.
- Now you need to delete the following files from your computer:
<home directory> / Library / Preferences / Macromedia / Flash \ Player
<home directory> / Library / Caches / Adobe / Flash \ Player
- To check if the program has been removed, restart your computer.
And if you still leave the Adobe Flash Player?
Adobe Flash Player may still be required to run some retro games. If you love vintage games , you should understand that you take responsibility for the use of Flash Player and possible system failures and risks to the security and privacy of your data.