How To Get The National Housing Fund (NHF Loan) From FMBN
The National Housing Fund (NHF) is a fund introduced by the Federal Government of Nigeria, established by act 3 of 1992 to mobilize funds from Commercial and Merchant Banks, Insurance companies, Nigerian workers and the Federal Government to provide soft loans to it contributors. All Nigerians in paid employment or self employment can contribute and benefit from the scheme. The scheme is operated by the Federal Mortgage Bank Of Nigeria.
The aim of the scheme is to help low income earners who cannot afford housing to be able to own houses by contributing a part of their salary monthly to the scheme.
A Nigerian worker who wants to contribute and benefit from the scheme will contribute 2..5% of their basic salary/income to the fund. Commercial and Merchant Banks are to invest 10% of their loans and advances portfolio. Insurance Companies are mandated to invest 20% of non-life and 40% life funds in the housing sector with 50% of these directly in the funds. And the Federal Government is expected to make financial contribution to the fund.
The be eligible to get National Housing Fund (NHF loan), you must meet the following criteria:
- Any Nigerian above the age of 18
- Applicant must be a contributor to the National Housing Fund for a minimum period of six months.
- Applicant must have satisfactory evidence of regular flow of income to guarantee loan repayment
WHO CAN APPLY FOR NATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN)?
The NHF scheme is for Nigerians in all sectors of the economy, particularly those within the low and medium income levels who cannot afford commercial housing loans e.g. civil servants, traders, artisans, commercial drivers etc. Any intending beneficiary must be a registered contributor and up to date with his/her contributions.
HOW TO GET THE NATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN)
Follow these steps to get the National Housing Fund (NHF loan)
1. VISIT A DULY ACCREDITED MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR
The first step is to visit an duly accredited Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) also known as Primary Mortgage Banks (PMBs)
2. GET APPLICATION FORM
Application forms for NHF loans are obtainable from the MLO
3. COMPLETE THE FORM
Complete the form
4. SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS.
You will be told what to do and what to submit. The PMB will be the one to forward your request to the Federal Mortgage Bank Of Nigeria and revert to you
BENEFIT OF THE NATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN)
- Housing loan of up to 90% of the cost of the house.
- Interest on loans remains fixed throughout the life of the mortgage at 6% p.a.
- Long period of repayment of up to 30 years.
- Contributions can serve as additional old age security.
- Up to N15 million can be borrowed.
- Refunds with 2% interest on retirement.
- Loan repayment is about the same as a typical monthly rent.
- Every contributor has: a lifetime registration number, a passbook for personal recording of contributions and the account statement.
FULL PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION
- The Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) will supply Employer Registration Form (NHF1) to employers.
- Employers will complete form NHF1 and return to the nearest branch of the Federal Mortgage bank of Nigeria.
- Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria will register the Employer and issue an employer’s registration number.
- Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria will issue form NHF2 to employers for completion by employees or directly to self employed or individual.
- Employee will complete the form NHF2 and return to the employer.
- The employer or self-employed individuals will return completed form NHF2 to Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria.
- Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria will register Employees on Form NHF2 and allocate employees participation number to each employee/self-employed individual.
- Federal Mortgage Bank will issue a passbook to each of the registered employees where the monthly deduction of his/her 2.5% basic salary will be posted by the employer
- At this point, an employee is now a registered participant of the National Housing Fund.
- Employer will commence deduction of contributions at source. Such deductions/contributions are remitted to Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria with schedule of payment indicating the amount contributed by each employee and the period covered.
- Self–employed contributors will also commence monthly remittances of contributions to FMBN.
- Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria will accept contributions and issue receipts for payments.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU GET?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
A contributor is eligible to access a maximum loan amount of N15 million
NATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN) REPAYMENT
The loan is repayable over a maximum period of 30 years at an affordable interest rate of 6%. The NHF housing loan are repaid on monthly installments from the income of the beneficiary.
NATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN) INTEREST RATE
Interest rate shall be as prescribed by the National Housing Fund Act which is not more than 6%
DOCUMENT REQUIRED FORNATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN)
Below are the document required to access the loan:
- Completed application form.
- Photocopy of title documents
- Current valuation report on the proposed house to buy or bills of quantities (BOQ) for the house to build.
- Three years tax clearance certificate.
- Evidence of NHF participation
- Copy of pay slips for the previous three months.
- Equity contribution or personal stake of 30%, 20% or 10% depending on the loan amount applied for.
NATIONAL HOUSING FUND (NHF LOAN) COLLATERAL
The only collateral is the property to secure the loan for. No other collateral is needed for the loan.
You can get a refund of your contribution. Below are conditions for refund
- Refund is made to a contributor who has attained 60 years of age or has put in 35 years in service.
- Refund is also made to a contributor that has obtained a loan, liquidated the loan and has attained the age of 60 years or have put in 35 years in service.
- Retired from employment and becomes incapable of continuing the contribution to the Fund.
- For applicants from the underlisted professions, the retirement ages are as stated below:
- Professors, Judges and Medical Consultants – 70 years of age
- Academic, Non-Academic Staff, Judicial Staff – 65 years of age
- Military Officers – 62 years of age
- Refund is made to the next-of-kin of a contributor in case of a deceased contributor.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REFUND OF CONTRIBUTION
Below are the documents required for refund:
- Application letter requesting for refund of contribution.
- Letter of offer of appointment.
- Birth certificate or Declaration of age certificate.
- Completed NHF Contribution withdrawal forms.
- Bank Account details through which refund would be paid.
- Medical report of incapability to continue contributions due to failing health
- Letter of administration & Death Certificate (in case of a deceased contributor)
- Evidence of contribution. (Receipt for self-employed contributor)
- Biometric Verification Number (BVN)
[penci_related_posts taxonomies=”undefined” title=”READ MORE” background=”” border=”” thumbright=”yes” number=”4″ style=”grid” align=”none” displayby=”recent_posts” orderby=”random”]
LIST OF PRIMARY MORTGAGE BANKS (PMBS)
Below are the Primary Mortgage Banks that you can access the NHS loan from:
- Infinity Trust Mortgage Bank Plc
- Platinum Mortgage Bank Ltd
- Abbey Building Society Plc
- First Trust Mortgage Bank Plc
- Mutual Alliance Savings & Loans
- Nigeria Police Mortgage Bank
- Delta Trust Mortgage Bank Ltd
- Jigawa Savings & Loans
- City Code Savings & Loans Limited
- AG Homes Savings & Loans Limited
- Omolabi Mortgage Bank Limited
- Lagos Building Investment Company Plc
- Brent Mortgage Bank Limited
- Gateway Mortgage Bank Ltd
- FHA Homes Savings & Loans Ltd
NATIONAL HOUSING FUND CONTACT DETAILS
Phone: +234 09-292 0689
Email: [email protected]
NATIONAL HOUSING FUND WEBSITE
You can visit the website at fmbn.gov.ng