How to use 9mobile eSIM and get free 7GB of data
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
How would you like to get free 7GB of Data on 9mobile alongside the 9mobile eSIM? If you are like me then you know that this is the sweetest deal you can get out there. Talk about having a sim-card without necessarily buying a new phone.
In Naija today, relying on one network is unheard of. Even I, whose funds are limited, must find a way to get an additional SIM for that time when it’s impossible to get by data service running on my primary SIM card. 9mobile is offering a way to do that. However, eSIMs aren’t actually new.
If you were a keen follower or ardent lover of all things technology and hungry for the latest of the IOTs, then you must have heard a while back. In fact, eSIms have been around for over a decade, but we are just getting to enjoy them on this side of the globe.
However, before we talk about the 9mobile eSIM and 7gb free data awoof, let’s talk about the difference between your traditional SIM card and the eSIM.
What is a SIM?
Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) is a plastic card that basically contains the required information that authenticates one’s identity to a network carrier. It is what grants you access to a network carrier and without it, carriers wouldn’t know you’re subscribed to their network and thus you wouldn’t be able to make use of their cell towers. It works like an identity that grants you access to use a network carrier cell tower.
What is an eSIM?
Embedded Subscriber Identity Module (eSIM) is a new smart technology gradually replacing the traditional SIM. Instead of a physical SIM, the eSIM is a small chip built right into your smartphone granting you all functionalities of a physical sim and more.
Therefore, it comes with your smartphone and works just as fine. However, contrary to what most people think, you don’t have to be glued to one network with the eSIM, you can port from one place to another as easy as ABC.
Benefits of the eSIM technology
- The information on an eSIM is rewritable, so you can decide to change your operator with a simple phone call.
- It allows you to have more than one mobile number linked to your device.
- You don’t have to deal with switching SIM cards while on-the-go, especially for travelers as it makes it easier to switch between network operators.
- The possibility of losing or damaging your SIM card is eliminated because it is embedded in your device.
- The need for cutting SIM cards and searching for SIM adapters is eliminated also.
Everything you need to know about the 9mobile eSIM
9mobile has officially launched its eSIM service in Nigeria just a few weeks after MTN Launched its own eSIM services making them the second telecommunication service provider in Nigeria to embrace the eSIM technology.
To get a 9mobile eSIM, new customers simply need to walk into any 9mobile experience centre and request an eSIM activation. A QR code will be provided to scan and download an eSIM profile and you’ll be required to perform the usual SIM registration. For existing customers on other networks, a SIM swap is available at selected 9mobile experience centre.
On activation of the eSIM service, 9mobile has decided to give free 7GB data to all customers.
How to activate the 9mobile eSIM in easy steps
- Visit any Etisalat support center near you to register the eSIM to your phone
- Get the QR code – generated via My Etisalat UAE app (existing number) or provided by an Etisalat agent (new number)
- Scan the QR code on the phone you would like to activate the eSIM on
- To learn how to activate your eSIM on your iPhone, Samsung, or Apple Watch, please take a look at the detailed steps below.
*Important to know: A new QR code is required if you need to switch your phone. For security reasons, please do not share the QR code with anyone. We will never ask you to share it with any of our Etisalat agents.
It is important to also note that not all smart devices support the eSIM service for now as it still a new technology.
Currently, smartphones like Google Pixel 3, 3XL, 4, 4XL. Apple iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, XS, XS Max, XR, and the Samsung S20 Series. Since the eSIM technology is expected to take over Naija, there’s no doubt we will soon be seeing budget-friendly smartphone brands like TECNO picking up the tech.