Job Alert: Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist at IITA – International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Our award-winning research for development (R4D) addresses the development needs of tropical countries. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consu…
Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification PhD/Fellowship
- Experience 3 years
- Location Oyo
- Job Field Agriculture / Agro-Allied
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: The Initial appointment is for three (3) years
- IITA seeks to recruit an Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist.
- The overall objective of the position is to lead strategic and applied research on market economics on IITA mandate crops and related activities.
- The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists and biophysical scientists as needed, such as agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists.
- He/She will be a member of the IITA Social Science and Agri business Core Competency.
He/She will report to the Senior Agricultural Economist and Director of Western Africa Hub.
- Conduct market economic studies of commodities along the value chain.
- Monitor economic changes in agriculture in relation to the markets and vice versa.
- Devise methods and procedures to conduct different types of market surveys and value chain aassessments.
- Create, as well as use various econometric modeling techniques to develop forecasts.
- Apply models of economic behavior to agricultural markets changes and developments.
- Promote market development using experimental economic methods.
- Develop business plans for project and activities in commodity value chains.
- Establish and foster relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector,and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Provide technical backstopping and assistance in building the capacity of national programsin research on market economics.
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research.
- Publish scientific outputs in peerreviewed IF journals and others (e.g.,technical reports, IITA bulletins, or social media and books or book chapters).
- Contributionte to resource mobilization through the development of concept notes and proposalsin collaboration with others.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a Ph.D.in Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics, or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university.
- He/she will demonstrate experience of at least three (3) years in markets economic studies relating to agricultural issues, preferably in Africa.
- Good knowledge of market studies.
- Competence in the development of socio-economic andmarket surveys.
- Ability to perform a thoughtful, critical analysis of market economics-related data.
- Conversant with tools and approaches applied in market studies.
- Knowledge and experience with economic evaluation of agricultural technologies.
- Familiarity with statistical software used in market studies.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publicationsin market-related journals.
- Experience with resource mobilization.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent lleadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal,and team-building skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa is an added advantage.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae d with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- Applications must include a Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background / experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for,
- Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- Names and Addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his / her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to “The Head of Human Resources”
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested and qualified? Go to IITA – International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on jobs.iita.org to apply
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.
Get a job fast.
Let us rewrite your CV
Method of Application