Job Alert: Bechtel: Lead Survey Field Engineer, UPF
- Requisition ID: 227706
- Position Title: Lead Survey Field Engineer, UPF
- Project: Uranium Processing Facility (UPF)
- Location: Oak Ridge, TN
- Relocation Authorized: National – Family
- US Citizenship Required: Yes
- Badging: Must be able to obtain badging
- Other Requirements: Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check which includes verification of employment and education
Bechtel National, Inc. (BNI), Bechtel’s government services business, is one of the top providers to departments and agencies of the U.S. and British governments. Its successes include many large, first-of-a-kind projects in government site management, environmental restoration, defense, space, energy, and national and homeland security. This position will provide support to the Uranium Processing Facility (UPF) located at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
UPF will be built by 2025 for $6.5 billion and will be a first-of-its-kind complex for enriched uranium operations in support of Y-12 missions. UPF is one of the Department of Energy’s largest investments in Tennessee since the Manhattan Project and one of the National Nuclear Security Administration’s largest construction projects. When complete, UPF will: replace a 70-year-old facility with modern buildings, reduce operational costs and energy consumption, improve worker safety, and provide enriched uranium capabilities well into the future.
The UPF project has multiple work schedules that are subject to change and may require employees to work overtime and/or night shift when a business need arises. The core construction working hours are between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Work schedule and overtime are to be approved in advance by supervisors.
Eligibility for this position requires US citizenship; successful candidate must provide proof of US citizenship in order to obtain badge access to the site. Candidate must complete security questionnaire and successfully clear site access requirements check. All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment. Must be able to obtain a security clearance, as applicable.
Provide support as required to the construction team reporting directly to the Project Field Engineer. Supervise and/or direct activities relating to construction engineering, layout of foundation locations, equipment locations, structural steel placement, subcontracts, and engineering liaison with the design functional group. Use design drawings, model and specifications to determine associated plant and equipment locations.
Works with field engineering to support field verification of materials as appropriate and needed.
Provides technical support as related to survey to Field Engineering and Superintendents in a wide range of situation and configurations. Multi-Disciplined Field Engineering responsibilities with earthwork, excavation, concrete, structural steel, mechanical, and piping, etc. installation experience.
The Lead Survey Field Engineer’s duties include, but not limited to, the following:
- Provide Construction Survey support to both Field Engineering and Field Supervision
- Establish and/or verify and maintain the project’s survey control network
- Supervise direct hire and/or sub-contracted survey crews, including verification of survey crews’ control points and work
- Utilize survey instruments in conjunction with Bechtel survey procedures
- Responsible for the accurate layout of construction work, recordation of field data according to job specifications and appropriate methods of performing survey activities
- Support the survey team’s implementation of the project safety, quality and environmental programs
- Oversee the development and management of survey data
- Perform Calibration Baseline checks of survey instruments
- Oversee the administration of the survey work request program
- Perform and/or check survey computations as required in the performance of duties
- Perform and/or check survey control network least squares adjustment computations as required in the performance of duties
- Provide Civil project completion documentation including “As-Built” records
- Prepare survey CAD drawings as required in the performance of duties, including generation of Digital Terrain Models (DTM) and volumes computations
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of the survey training program
- Engineering/Technical degree preferred or equivalent work experience/qualifications
- Minimum 10-15 years’ progressive experience in heavy industrial construction surveying involving a mix of field and office duties with modern instruments and software, with at least 5 years in supervisorial capacity
- Knowledge of engineering and construction methods and processes customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or practical experience
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s “Zero Accidents” safety program. Must have a strong drive toward Safety, both on and off the job, a commitment to seeing everyone go home each day as well and healthy as they came to work that day
- Knowledge of Bechtel quality standards. Must have a solid record of successful project completion with little to zero rework
- Knowledge of construction survey principles
- Knowledge of supervisory functions relating to heavy industrial construction surveying field & office activities
- Working knowledge of Bechtel construction procedures
- Displays effective communications skills crucial to motivating team members and presenting plans in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-based environment, able to formulate a working relationship with survey team members, other departments and contractors
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Experience with 3D Laser Scanning hardware and software a must
- Demonstrated proficiency with Survey CAD software, including generation of Digital Terrain Models (DTM) and volumes computations
- Mircostation proficient
- Experience managing technical services subcontracts is desirable
- General awareness of environmental laws
- Awareness of government compliance standards
- Previous experience as a lead surveyor or office surveyor on a Bechtel project
- Smart Plant 3D experience
- Tekla experience
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE