Job Alert: Communication and Media Consultant (Indivuidual) at Propcom Mai-karfi
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Propcom Mai-Karfi (PM) is a DFID-funded programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in northern Nigeria. Propcom Mai-karfi was recently awarded a 3-year extension (2018-2021) with particular focus on the North East (NE) states and 3 North West states- Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states. The aim is to influence INGOs in the NE states to shift from humanitarian to development and to implement market recovery and systems development programmes across the targeted states.
Communication and Media Consultant (Indivuidual)
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Media / Advertising / Branding
ABOUT THE WORK
As Propcom Mai-karfi approaches close-out, we will be increasing efforts to widely communicate the Programme’s work and achievements as well our knowledge, successful investment models and experiences improving agricultural markets in conflict and post-conflict Northern Nigeria. We are, therefore, recruiting a Communication and Media Consultant with extensive experience, under the supervision of the Communication Manager, to support achievement of the Programme’s communication objective of effectively communicating results from the Programme’s work with international and local audiences; thereby improving visibility of issues, opportunities and others. Specifically, we hope to:
1. Show how PM’s interventions respond to challenges faced by smallholder farmers and entrepreneurs when engaging in rural and agricultural markets and how PM’s market systems approach and strategy has been used to revive agricultural and rural markets in post-conflict regions
2. Increase awareness of crucial policy issues and investment opportunities related to agricultural and rural markets in Northern Nigeria
3. Make topical issues affecting the agriculture sector, particularly in Northern Nigeria, top-of-mind for the media
The Communcation and Media consultant will undertake a needs assessment to the Programme’s intervention states as necessary, and upon approval, and develop a plan tailored to the Programme’s communication needs. S/he will provide advice, guidance and support on planning and implementing internal and external communication efforts to improve awareness of the Programme’s work to national and local audiences and across online and offline platforms. S/he will also support content creation and circulation for offline and online media (social media and website).
- Review existing communication strategy and plan and revise in collaboration with the Communication Manager. This will include reviewing key target audiences for communication and events.
- Develop and effectively circulate communication materials, including feature stories and news, briefings, articles, statements, speeches, factsheets, case studies, publicity materials, videos, animations, media advisories, press releases, press/media kits, and write-ups about events, for an integrated mix of international and local communication channels including website (the Programme’s and others’), social media, blogs, e-news, the media and others.
- Develop and oversee the production of all communication and publicity materials for events (presentations, graphics, handouts, banners, and others), including liaising with Technical Leads and other relevant staff to elicit information to aid their development.
- Ensure proper communications before, during and after all events including national and state level events, knowledge sharing workshops/ meetings, seminars, trainings, conferences and others.
- Profile media channels that can be used to communicate with the Programme’s audiences, develop a register of media practitioners, expand the Programme’s contacts with print, TV, Radio and social media outlets to enhance exposure, respond, where appropriate, to queries from the media and other external parties, and carefully select media practitioners to participate in and cover the Programme’s events.
- Organise all press events such as press conferences with relevant stakeholders in attendance and media interviews and appearances on Radio or TV as appropriate, and manage media presence at Programme events.
- Support the Programme in enhancing its internal capacity for communication and knowledge sharing. This will include identifying capacity gaps and providing capacity building as appropriate and necessary.
- Conduct field visits to gather and verify information as part of content development and assessing media outlets among others.
- Identify and effectively communicate the Programme’s activities and outcomes with international platforms, both online and offline.
- Support with other communication and events management related tasks as necessary.
- Updated communication strategy and action plan, including end of programme dissemination plan.
- Media conferences/ roundtables organised.
- Press releases in online and offline print; feature stories in print and TV; opinion pieces, editorials and others published in print; interviews on radio; media advisories, media information pack and other media relations tools developed. The exact quantities will be determined at the start of the condultancy.
- Database of external blogs, websites and social media platforms used and liks to articles and posts and other contributions to these platforms.
- Evidence of media coverage in selected Programme events
- Articles, social media posts, website updates, case studies, stories, and other communication materials developed for sharing the Programme’s work and achievements.
- Evidence of improved visibility for the Programme through print
- Evidence of improved engagement and traffic on the Programme’s social media platforms and website.
- Database of media practitioners writing about policy issues, investment opportunities and other topics on the agriculture sector, and covering selected Programme events.
- Appropriately edited and captioned multimedia materials – videos, photographs and others – developed for the Programme.
- Capacity building workshop(s) on improving communication and media engagement.
- Monthly reports of planned and executed activities.
- Final report at the end of the consultancy to include media monitoring report (newspaper cuttings, links to online coverage, clip for TV coverage etc), links to contributions to external websites, blogs and social media platforms.
- Relevant academic qualifications in a related field.
- Extensive experience in communication or other related field such as public relations, journalism, public affairs or international relations.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is essential. Knowledge of Hausa is preferred.
- Proven experience and understanding of communication and outreach at the international level, and proven ability to position and advocate for issues and influence government, private sector, civil society, donors and other stakeholders.
- Experience developing, including conception, design, packaging and production, and dissemination of communication materials targeted at a wide range of audiences, and understanding of dissemination channels.
- Proven experience building and sustaining strong relations with the media.
- Working knowledge of relevant computer software and online tools such as MS Office, WordPress, social media platforms, Adobe InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop, Affinity Publisher/Designer/Photo, , electronic mail procedures.
- Experience and knowledge of social media, web and social analytics, and digital/multimedia communication strategies and tools.
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills, ability to pay attention to details, meet deadlines and effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, and ability to be innovative and proactive.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills, and ability to convey complex ideas in a concise, clear, direct, and interesting style.
- Previous experience working with governments and/or international development agencies would be an asset.
VENUE, TIMING AND DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT AND REMUNERATION
The consultant will work from Abuja office with frequent travels to PM intervention states. The consultancy will be for an initial six months from February 2020. Specific deliverables and timeframes will be determined in consultation with the Communication Manager and other relevant team members.
Remuneration amount will be based on the qualification and experience of the consultant and will be remitted monthly upon satisfactory deliverables.
Please note that Propcom Mai-karfi reserves the right to terminate the consultant’s contract at any time and withhold payment if performance is unsatisfactory.
Qualified applicants (invidual consultants only) should send the following
to [email protected] on or before midnight on 10 January 2020.
(Use the subject line “Agricultural Input consultant”):
1. A detailed CVand cover letter(not more than 3 pages)
2. Evidence of previous work done(not more than 5 pages
3. Tax Remittance Number and evidence of tax remittance
4. Contact details of 3 referees
5. Fee rate
Technical expertise/ understanding of task (interview) 40%
Relevant experience executing similar work 30%
Fee Rate 20%
If your quote is successful, you will be required to enter into the Company’s standard contract for the types of goods or services being provided. In the provision of the Goods and Services, you will be required to comply with the Company’s policies, including (without limitation) its Business Partner Code of Conduct and any relevant Project Manual. Potential suppliers must also comply with the Company’s Business Partner Code of Conduct in the submission of any quotes pursuant to this RFQ.
If you are bidding as part of a joint venture, partnership or similar, please make this clear in your submission. Likewise, if you propose to subcontract any part of the goods or services provision, then disclose this fact within your submission. The Company may require additional information from you and approval for subcontracting will not be automatic as subcontractors will be subject to Palladium’s Due Diligence process.
For terms and conditions, go to www.propcommaikarfi.org/jobs