Job Alert: EDF Energy: Operations Engineer/Technician
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Operations Engineer and Operations Technician, Dunbar, Salary from £33,446 (Engineer), £30,962 (Technician) & Benefits
Applications are invited for the positions of Operations Engineer and Operations Technician to work in the Operations Department at EDF’s Torness Power Station.
Torness Power Station is based near Dunbar, East Lothian. It is one of our advanced gas-cooled reactor (AGR) power stations and is capable of generating 1225MW of electricity, the equivalent of supplying 1.5 million homes.
Dependant on skill level and experience a discussion will be held at interview stage on suitability for either role. Candidates with a preference should indicate this in their covering letter.
Operations Engineers work flexibly to achieve the Station’s operations programme, supporting other departments and maintaining a high level of quality and reliability in their daily work.
Day-to-day duties include:
• Monitoring and control of all station plant from the station’s Central Control Room (CCR);
• Supervising the implementation of Safety Rules and procedures to provide personal safety from the system.
• Performing a plant engineer function and providing immediate operational advice to CCR staff and Operate Technicians during normal operation, fault investigations and recovery.
Operate Technicians work flexibly in Generation/Fuel Teams to achieve the Station’s Operations programme whilst maintaining a high level of quality and reliability in their daily work.
Day-to-day duties include:
• Controlling and closely monitoring plant and equipment to support the process by following procedures
• Applying conservative decision making techniques and working effectively within a team environment
• A solid understanding of plant operation, design and theory (comprehensive training will be provided)
• Investigating and rectifying plant faults within your own area of demonstrated competence
• Carrying out minor maintenance
• Carrying out health physics monitoring as required by the process
We are looking for individuals with experience in the technical or operations environment with technical knowledge and an ability to diagnose technical problems.
You should have a proven track record of working to demanding safety standards; excellent interpersonal and team working skills; and a positive, flexible, and pro-active approach to work.
In addition, a high level of self-motivation, drive and a proven ability in communication, influencing and motivating others focusing on safe and reliable operation are highly desirable.
A knowledge and appreciation of the value of the use of human error-prevention tools to ensure safe and efficient working will make you a strong candidate for this role.
Candidates for the engineering role should have a minimum qualification of an HNC (or equivalent) in a technical discipline and candidates for the operations technician role should be educated to GCSE grade C (or equivalent).
Competitive Salary & Benefits
The salary is from £33,446 for an Engineer and from £30,962 for a Technician, with terms and conditions covered by the EDF Energy Nuclear Generation Company Agreement. The starting salary for this appointment will be dependent on your existing salary, competence, experience and qualifications. You will receive 28 days annual holiday plus bank holidays, incremental and competency based progression, a career average company pension scheme, access to benefits including gym membership, cinema tickets, technology offers and cycle to work scheme. Roles will be eligible for additional shift allowance where necessary.
Why EDF Energy?
EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy and Belgium. We’re the UK’s largest producer of low-carbon electricity, the biggest supplier of electricity by volume in Great Britain, the largest supplier to British businesses, and we employ more than 13,000 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We are playing a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK to secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees.