Job Alert: Finance Assistant at Mercy Corps
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
- Job TypeFull Time
- LocationAdamawa, Yobe
- Job Field
Finance / Accounting / Audit
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/0003 Location: Yola, Adamawa
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/0002 Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Position Status: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer and Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions
- Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented
- Ensure that cash count and safeguarding of cash is performed in compliance with Country Cash Management Policy
- Maintain the cash advance tracker daily, follow up on advances due for clearance, and ensure advance reconciliation with the general ledger records
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and document completeness and ensure that expense reports are fully authorized before payment processing
- Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
- Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented.
- Record cash and bank payment vouchers daily into accounting system while ensuring the accuracy of all entries by following entry procedures, and by referencing coding against the standard chart of accounts and coded budgets.
- Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance.
- Assist in account maintenance and reconciliations as part of the month-end closeout process
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are properly labelled, updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Assist with addressing audit-related requests
- Ensure compliance with MC policies, donor rules and regulations and compliance with local laws
- Conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Finance Officer
- Works Directly With: Mercy Corps Program, Operations and Finance teams
Knowledge and Experience
- One or Two years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
- A degree in Accounting or a relevant Business field is desirable.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Prior experience with computerized general ledger software is an advantage
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics, as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.