Job Alert: IT Assistant at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
ICT / Computer
Location Gombe, Nigeria
Position Status Full-time, Non-exempt, Regular
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0051
General Position Summary
Maintain the current IT system in the Mercy Corps office and ensure the proper functioning of equipment and network to meet office needs and demands in coordination and synchronizing system with the IT Systems Administrator.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Read and understand the Mercy corps IT Systems Policy on appropriate use. Orient staff on appropriate use and monitor user activities to ensure adherence to these policies.
- Conduct staff training on computer basics and the use of MS Office applications and networking. Assist, as needed, with developing databases or other windows application needs for program and operational staff.
- Responsible use and confidentiality of any information identified as sensitive.
- Regularly update anti-virus programs and ensure the entire network and computers are virus-free.
- Assist the IT Systems Administrator in establishing a clear, back-up policy for the Mercy Corps office and undertake the necessary steps for this activity including designing a schedule and materials list. Ensure back up and archives are made and stored as scheduled.
- Under the guidance of the IT Systems Administrator, undertake the repairing and maintaining of LAN-s, internet systems and general IT maintenance and training– as per needs outlined by the Field Manager and Operations Officer.
- Oversee repair of computers and IT equipment at a local level, when possible – facilitate and advise on best, safest and most economical solutions in consultation with the IT Systems Administrator.
- Maintain an efficient Local Area Network for Mercy Corps office. Do not change the current design of configurations without written approval after analysis by the IT Systems Administrator and the Head of Office. Current designs are appropriate for the programmatic needs for the office and any additions or changes require prior approval and planning.
- Identify equipment and accessories required for the smooth functioning of computers and IT equipment in Mercy Corps offices. Facilitate the purchase of items through the Procurement Department.
- Maintain the Mercy Corps mail server and assign addresses as instructed by IT Systems Administrator.
- Assist in administration functions as needed; assist logistics staff in inventorying and tracking IT assets.
- Maintain proper documentation of all IT equipment including; system profiles, warranties and IT stock/accessories; Organize and maintain central filing system of satellite systems in MC office.
- Assist in the identifying specification, relocation and assembly of any equipment including computers, printers, accessories and satellite systems in all offices, as required.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
· Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports Directly To: Coordination on all IT activities with the IT Systems Administrator
Works Directly With: Coordinate with Operations Officer and Field Manager in identifying IT needs
and suggests solutions.
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of three years’ experience in an information technology system (IT).
- A relevant university degree in computer sciences is desirable.
- Experience in both hardware and software requirements in local area networking (LAN); experience in the configuration of the internal email system as per the local area networking (LAN).
- Exclusive knowledge of internet, proxy, pop mail, and TCPIP settings, Linux and Windows applications.
- Experience for upright maintenance of all internet account, Logins and account status.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot, plan and design low maintenance systems is a must.
- Ability to troubleshoot and maintain both wireless and cable connections is required.
- Must understand, follow and implement existing policies on IT equipment use and best practices.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.