Job Alert: Programme Support Intern at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps
Job Title: Programme Support Intern
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Starting Date: 13-Jan-2020 (date when the selected candidate
Duration of Initial Contract: 06 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 06 Months
- UN-Habitat has re-affirmed its commitment to supporting the United Nations Country Team and Government of Nigeria in implementing a transformative agenda for achieving Sustainable
Development,and is embarking on the process ofresuscitating and expanding its presence in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Consultant, the intern will:
- Support the UN-Habitat Office in conducting research on selected themes; conduct
extensiveliterature review on selected themes; collect, analyze, interprets and present primary and secondary data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assist in
the preparation ofin print outputs e.gconcept notes, background papers, technical papers and publications
- Substantively edit draft reports prepared
- Assist in the implementation of UN-Habitat programmes in Nigeria
- Assist in planning and organization of meetings, prepare mission files, power point presentations and provide follow up action for activities that
- Support the smooth running of the office.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Skills and Experience
Preferred area of study (e.g. current education studies of student, e.g. MBA, Organizational Development, 3rd Year Undergraduate – Urban Planning etc.):
- Applicants must be enrolled in at least the third year of a first university degree program or in a graduate school (second university degree or higher) program at the time of application, commencement and during the internship.
- Studies in Mass Communication, Statistics, Programme Management, Engineering, Urban Planning, Demography, Geography, Social Sciences or Management.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Publication in learned journal as evidence for strong research skills is highly desirable.
- Fluent in English.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties;
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers);
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers).
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers).
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases;;
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative;
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy;
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others.
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software;
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard.
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking:
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines;
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs;
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IT Skills such as Proficiency in Microsoft office especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
are highly required. UNDP is committedto achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouragedto apply. All applications will be treatedwith the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.