Job Alert: Registrar at the University of Benin
The University of Benin was founded in 1970. It started as an Institute of Technology and was accorded the status of a full-fledged University by National Universities Commission (NUC) on 1st July, 1971. In his Budget Speech in April 1972, the then Military Governor of Mid-Western State, Col. S. O. Ogbemudia (then also Visitor to the University) formally announced the change of the name of the Institute of Technology to the University of Benin. On 1st April, 1975 the University at the request of the State Government, was taken over by the Federal Government and became a Federal University.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to the underlisted position below:
Job Title: Registrar
Location: Benin City, Edo
The five year term of the incumbent Registrar of the University of Benin will expire on 7th May, 2020. The Governing Council of the University at its 157th Regular Meeting of Tuesday, 22nd and Friday, 25th October, 2019, therefore approved that the position of Registrar, University of Benin be advertised.
Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to the post of Registrar, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria.
- The Registrar is the Chief Administrative Officer of the University, responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the University except for financial matters which fall within the purview of the Bursar.
- By virtue of the position, the Registrar is the statutory Secretary to Council, Senate, Congregation, Convocation and the Committees of these bodies.
Qualities of the Candidate
- The Candidate must be a person of impeccable integrity with the ability to command the respect and trust of both staff and students. The Candidate must possess drive, initiative and foresight and must understand the intricacies and complexities of the 21st Century higher educational institution.
- The candidate must in addition be capable of articulating the vision of the University generally and be able to drive a vibrant Registry.
- The candidate must be of pleasant disposition with sound leadership qualities and must be of good physical and mental health. The candidate shall submit a statement on his/her vision/mission for the University which should not be more than five hundred (500) words.
- The Candidate must be a graduate from a recognized University with good honours degree in a relevant discipline, preferably with additional qualification of at least, a Masters degree.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 15 years post-graduation experience, part of which must have been not less than five (5) years in the position of Deputy Registrar in a Federal University.
- Candidate must in addition be information and Communication Technology (ICT) compliant, and should not be above 60 years at the time of assumption of dpty.
Conditions of Service
As stipulated by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Act 2012, the Registrar shall hold office for a Single Term of five (5) years only. Notwithstanding this provision, Council may, upon satisfactory performance, extend the tenure of the Registrar for a further period of one (1) year only and thereafter the Registrar shall relinquish the post.
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit twenty (20) copies each of their applications, credentials and detailed Curriculum Vitae highlighting, among others, the following:
- Full Names
- Place and Date of Birth
- Home Address
- Contact Address
- E-mail Address
- Phone Number(s)
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children (if any)
- Institution attended with dates
- Academic Qualification with dates
- Working experience
- Present employment, indicating present status and salary
- Extra Curriculum Activities
- Referees (3)
Applications should be submitted by Courier Service under confidential cover in sealed envelopes marked “Post of Registrar, UNIBEN” and addressed to:
The Vice Chancellor,
University of Benin,
P.M.B. 1154, Benin City,
- Each applicant must have three (3) referees who should be requested by the applicant to forward their referees report under confidential cover by Courier Service directly to the Vice Chancellor, University of Benin.
- Only the applications of short-listed candidates will be acknowledge.