Job Alert: Senior Legal Assistant at International Organization for Migration – IOM
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
With 151 member states, a further 12 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the ben…
Read more about this company
Senior Legal Assistant
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 8 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Law / Legal
SVN No.: SVN2020.019
Organizational Unit: Procurement & Logistics
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration, particularly along the Central Mediterranean route from Nigeria‐ North Africa‐ Europe, is extremely dangerous. These migrants experience more gross human rights violations and mortalities compared to any other migration route around the globe.
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) remains committed to intensify efforts to protect the high number of migrants rescued at sea, and along the central Mediterranean route, by strengthening collaboration with key stakeholders in transit countries, and work with Government stakeholders, UN Agencies, and civil society in countries of origin, to address the drivers of irregular migration and strengthen direct assistance for vulnerable migrants.
- There is need to raise awareness among actors, returned and potential migrants on the benefits of safe migration and steps they can take in addressing violence, exploitation and abuse.
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Lagos Sub‐Office and Programme Manager‐ Migration Management, the direct supervision of the Procurement and Logistics Officer, and in close coordination with Resource Management and Programme Units, the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of legal services and activities in accordance with IOM rules, regulations and procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Draft contracts, instruments, and relevant agreements for the development and implementation of IOM projects, considering IOM’s contract templates and the organizational policies, regulations and rules. Support units and staff in such activities;
- Liaise as necessary with the LEG Contract Division on the review of relevant contracts and agreements, and other relevant matters.
- Provide technical assistance to partner agencies under the Migration Management unit, on legal and contractual issues relevant to the IOM projects;
- Participate in the development of internal guidelines on legal and contractual regulations, in line with the institutional or operational activities carried out under relevant projects.
- Support relevant Project Managers (PM) in their work concerning relevant legal and contractual issues, including terminating agreements, contracts and contractual disputes.
- Monitor local legislation requirements and changes therein that may impact IOM project activities;
- Train staff on IOM’s legal and contractual issues in accordance with the organizational policies, regulations and rules.
- Monitor the quality of programmed activities and the relevant legal documents submitted;
- Implement any decision or advise as may be received from LEG Contract Division, Regional Office or other relevant units in the Mission concerning legal or contractual matters,
- Participate, when required, in working groups, meetings, and other project activities, relevant to the legal functions of the office;
- Perform other work‐related duties as may assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree from an accredited institution in Law, International Law, Public International Law, and Related Legal Field. An advanced degree in law is highly desirable.
- Minimum of six years (four years for degree holder) of progressively responsible experience in the field of contract review, legal and administrative support, or other related areas, at a legal office or legal department;
- Practical experience in one or more of international, administrative, civil or commercial law is required.
- Excellent knowledge of the Federal, state and administrative laws, legal codes, court procedures, government regulations and procedures in Nigeria is required.
- Experience in dealing with UN policies, procedures and operations is highly desirable;
- Strong communication skills and ability to draft clearly and concisely;
- Strong analytical, organizational and reporting skills;
- High level of computer literacy, good knowledge of MS Office.
- Knowledge and experience in reviewing contracts, legal documents, papers or speeches, and developed research skills is highly desirable;
- Knowledge and experience in working in the legal office of a government department or ministry or of the secretariat of an intergovernmental organization is desirable;
- Knowledge and experience working and liaising with international development agencies, government authorities, national authorities, international institutions, civil authorities, is highly desirable;
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of local language an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve d goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating the position applied for on the subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2020.022 Maiduguri. Project Assistant (Monitoring & Reporting/ CCCM), G4.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.