Job Alert: State Advocacy Assistant at Youth Network on Community and Sustainable Development
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
We are the leading advocacy group of all youth bodies working to end all forms of violence against women and girls including harmful traditional practices in Nigeria. The Youth Network for Community and Sustainable Development is a movement catalyzing social change by engaging young people and amplifying their voices to speak for Human Rights, through targeted advocacy to key players, capacity building and development, communications and media engagements, Partnerships and program implementation. We also work on other Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights issues, Governance and Environment.
State Advocacy Assistant
- Job TypeFull Time
1 – 2 years
- LocationDelta, Kano, Lagos
- Job Field
Main Purpose of the Job
YNCSD is seeking to hire a state based Advocacy Assistant in Lagos, Delta and Kaduna states who will work on a new Project Integrating Sexual and Reproductive Information and Resources for Sustained Efforts to empower Nigerian Girls (Project INSPIRE). The project aims to improve the safe access of abortion services at the focal states where we would be implementing using a robust advocacy approach. The Advocacy Assistant will provide vital and varied support to the policy and campaigns work of the Advocacy Team, contributing to development, implementation and evaluation of YNCSD’s policy and campaigns work.
S/he must be based in Delta, Lagos and Kaduna states in Nigeria.
The Advocacy Assistant is expected to develop, organise and execute a wide range of activities to influence policy according to the scope of our programmes, and specific results-oriented projects. S/he will build policy capacity of our offices and advice on project implementation. S/he will carry out policy analysis and the writing of position statements of our organisation.
Together with leading technical staff, s/he will play an active role in networking, lobbying and representing the organisation in a wide range of policy issues at events, conventions and media opportunities. S/he will be able to integrate communication tools and channels in her/his work.
YNCSD seeks an Officer who possess good communications skills set and assists in a range of tasks including writing, formatting, copyediting, proofreading, social media, and designing and producing routine products and deliverables (e.g. technical reports, PowerPoint presentations, handouts, invitations, and flyers).
- Work under the direction of Advocacy staff to implement and assist in the planning of creative actions to further campaign objectives, including influencing decision-makers and building public support for Liberty’s issues.
- Assist in the coordination of Liberty’s work with partner organisations and other stakeholders, including by developing relationships and representing Liberty in coalitions and at official meetings as requested.
- Provide administrative support (e.g., preparation of documents, scheduling of large meetings, co-ordination of external contacts), including for significant events such as workshops, conferences, etc.
- Attend and support YNCSD events as needed, including occasional duties outside of office hours and some travel within the country.
· Contribute to the overall work of the Advocacy Team to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Develop strategic partnerships with key actors to achieve our policy goals;
- Ensure timely development of presentations and other advocacy materials and communication media;
- Support and advise the other offices to carry out lobby and advocacy properly;
- Ensure timely development of position papers, policy briefings, presentations and other advocacy materials and communication media;
- Identify key opportunities in the short and long-term in which we can influence policy processes;
- Advice technical staff and the management for meaningful engagement with key actors and institutions.
Profile of the candidate
The Advocacy Assistant should have experience in formulating and implementing organisational policy strategies. S/he must demonstrate a commitment to the cause either through previous jobs experiences or any other activities related to our mission. S/he is proactive, creative, outspoken, and optimistic with interest in sustainable development and a passion for making a difference, with a preference for achieving outcomes in collaboration with others. S/he has a results-oriented approach and proposes ways to innovate and continuously improve our communications products, practices, channels and messaging
Essential skills and experience
- Completed or working toward a University degree , preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Advertising or Public Relations)
- At least 1-2 years working experience;
- Demonstrable experience and achievements working in and advocating towards Adolescents SRHR and GBV;
- Track record in policy analysis, writing and editing articles, website content, reports and press releases;
- Experience working in for Non- Governmental Organisations (National or International).
- Ability to quickly understand and absorb new topics, issues and disciplines and distil relevant advocacy strategies from them;
- Experience in stakeholder mapping and strategizing according to policy objectives of different projects;
- Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences;
- Excellent communication and project management skills; team player and facilitator;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge on Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) landscape in Nigeria, especially on adolescents SRHR is a plus.
- Reporting to: Programme Manager and Comms and Advocacy Officer.
- Part-time: 16 hours per week (Fulltime 8 hours per day)
- Salary scale: to be negotiated
- Contract duration: 6 months contract with the intention of extension.
- Location: Asaba, Kaduna & Ikeja.
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating your motivation and the skills that you would bring to this specific post along with your resume /CV by email to [email protected] Documents must be in English, stated “Technical Advisor YNCSD Abuja” in the email subject line.