Job Alert: Technical Consultant on Agricultural Inputs Market at Propcom Mai-karfi
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Propcom Mai-Karfi (PM) is a DFID-funded programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in northern Nigeria. Propcom Mai-karfi was recently awarded a 3-year extension (2018-2021) with particular focus on the North East (NE) states and 3 North West states- Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states. The aim is to influence INGOs in the NE states to shift from humanitarian to development and to implement market recovery and systems development programmes across the targeted states.
Technical Consultant on Agricultural Inputs Market
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Agriculture / Agro-Allied
Propcom Mai-karfi’s work in the Input Sector
As an agricultural project, the agricultural input market is the bedrock of Propcom Mai-karfi. In the past years, PM had facilitated access to quality and affordable inputs (fertiliser and seeds) as well as improved distribution channels through several interventions all targeted towards increasing the incomes of small holder farmers. PM has also worked in the crop protection products (CPP) sector to facilitate access to quality pesticides and to address the issue of wrongful usage of pesticides which constitute risk to health and environment.
Current Activities in Propcom Mai-karfi’s Ag Input market
PM will engage two partners to facilitate access to quality seeds in the NE through community Seed Multiplication. The first batch will commence this dry season, while the second will take place in 2020 wet season.
PM is seeking a substitute fertiliser for farmers in the NE due to the current ban placed on inorganic fertiliser by the federal government. To achieve this. the Ag Input team is currently, through a consulting firm, conducting a feasibility assessment for commercial compost production in the NE. On the interim, PM is about to trial a compost fertiliser through establishment of demonstration plots in selected locations in the NE this dry season.
Having facilitated access to quality CPP as well as proper handling through the establishment of the Spray Service Provider (SSP) model, PM is currently working with key stakeholders to consolidate the SSP model as well as address key constraints in the sector through influencing policy.
The one-stop shop is aimed at overcoming the logistical challenge of seeking inputs required for production by bringing all three products – seed, fertiliser and agrochemicals, and where possible, services under one roof. This also addresses the challenge of unavailability of quality inputs in an agro-dealer’s store. The team will work with a private sector partner in the North East to implement the One-Stop Shop (OSS) model.
In view of this, PM is seeking a consultant with experience working in the Ag Input space, preferably an agronomist, to provide technical and implementation support for the delivery of Ag Inputs interventions.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders and partners to ensure that intervention activities are conducted in a proper and timely manner to achieve set objectives.
- Establish and manage demonstration plots for piloting compost in selected locations to determine efficacy of product on a range of crops.
- Work closely with the market manager for activity planning and implementation.
- Facilitate field activities related to all interventions of the Ag Input team.
- Provide implementation and monitoring for seed multiplication intervention.
- Provide planning, implementation and monitoring support for One-Stop Shop.
- Support the results measurement team to ensure data of beneficiaries reached are captured and updated in a timely manner
The expected deliverables are as follows;
- Comprehensive report of findings from compost demonstration plots covering all indicators.
- Activity report upon completion of every intervention activity.
- Compilation of cultivation protocols for selected value chains and product packages for One- Stop Shop intervention.
- Draft GAP training manual for OSS.
- Updated DAMs capturing all beneficiary data from compost and seed multiplication interventions.
- Upon completion of consultancy, provide a report that shows activities, methodology, findings, key constraints identified in the sector and recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural extension or any agronomy related field.
- Experience in providing extension services and management of demonstration plots
- Experience in report writing
- Ability to collect, analyse and interpret data.
- Must be proficient in Hausa.
- Knowledge in Microsoft office.
Venue, timing and duration of assignment
The consultant will work from Abuja office with frequent travels to the intervention states. The maximum number of days for this engagement is 150 days and will spread over a 9-month period.
Qualified applicants (invidual consultants only) should send the following
to [email protected] on or before midnight on 10 January 2020.
(Use the subject line “Agricultural Input consultant”):
1. A detailed CVand cover letter(not more than 3 pages)
2. Evidence of previous work done(not more than 5 pages
3. Tax Remittance Number and evidence of tax remittance
4. Contact details of 3 referees
5. Fee rate
Technical expertise/ understanding of task (interview) 40%
Relevant experience executing similar work 30%
Fee Rate 20%
If your quote is successful, you will be required to enter into the Company’s standard contract for the types of goods or services being provided. In the provision of the Goods and Services, you will be required to comply with the Company’s policies, including (without limitation) its Business Partner Code of Conduct and any relevant Project Manual. Potential suppliers must also comply with the Company’s Business Partner Code of Conduct in the submission of any quotes pursuant to this RFQ.
If you are bidding as part of a joint venture, partnership or similar, please make this clear in your submission. Likewise, if you propose to subcontract any part of the goods or services provision, then disclose this fact within your submission. The Company may require additional information from you and approval for subcontracting will not be automatic as subcontractors will be subject to Palladium’s Due Diligence process.
For terms and conditions, go to www.propcommaikarfi.org/jobs