Job Alert: Water Officer at Solidarites International
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 38 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter. Currently present in Nigeria since 2016, SI carries out emergency / post-emergency programs in WASH sector in North East region.
- Job TypeFull Time
1 – 2 years
- Job Field
Engineering / Technical
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Beginning of Contract: 1/02/2020
Contract duration: 3 months (with possibility of extension)
Probation Period: 1 month
Mission / Objectives
- Under the supervision of the WatSan TL, the Officer will lead and supervise work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements
- The Water and Sanitation officer will be in charge of implementing and following-up the construction of block or d family latrines and showers in the host community and IDP camps. According to the methodology of the organisation and the context, the activities will be directly implemented by Solidarites International or subcontracted.
- The Sanitation and Water Officer will be in charge of supervising the drilling or rehabilitation of water points, using his expertise and technical knowledge.
List of Main Responsibilities
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and / or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his / her line manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and / or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and / or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his / her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his / her supervision and by the population
Reporting / Communication / Representation
- Keep his / her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his / her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his / her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he / she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his / her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues / Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request
- B.Sc / B.Engr. in Civil and Water Resources Engineering / Hydrogeology or any relevant field
- Knowledge of practical field notions: stock report, concrete mixing, plumbing sizing
- Mastery of project cycle management: Ability to report efficiently (oral and written) and to plan and lead a working site
- Proficiency in at least one technical domain = Civil engineering / geology / hydrology
- Ability to manage a team, daily workers and to deal with a wide range of stakeholders (contractans, authorities etc..)
- Microsoft Office (advanced Excel and Word skills), Autocad, Epanet, Kobo Collect, ODK
- Professional experience: 1-2 years of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector) and / or strong operational background
- Languages: English, Hausa, Kanuri (Shuwa and/or Fulani a strong plus)
- Detail oriented, follows protocol, reliable, honest, very good organization, multi-tasking, team player.
Salary and Condition
- In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria
Submit their Application (CV, Cover Letter, References) in one file and name it with your name and surname to: [email protected] using “Water Officer Maiduguri” as the subject of the email.
- No generic applications will be accepted
- No paper cv will be accepted
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Solidarites International career website on docs.google.com to apply