YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Product Manager, Growth
- Wikimedia is looking for an experienced product manager for the Growth team in our Product department.
- The Product department builds the wiki experiences that enable our communities to achieve our vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. This is an opportunity to have a tremendous impact with one of the most beloved parts of the internet.
- Wikipedia is one of the most popular media properties in the world, visited by over 1 billion people a month across over 300 different languages. All this knowledge is created and managed by more than 200,000 volunteer editors.
- The Growth team works to help people become Wikipedia editors by introducing learning and editing workflows that are a fit for people on all types of devices, especially those in emerging communities around the world.
- We build a cohesive new editor experience, helping them find a place in our communities, connect with others, and start contributing their knowledge.
- Our main projects have focused on machine-learning driven task recommendations and volunteer mentorship, and have observable impacts on new editor engagement.
- As the product manager with the Growth team, you will work with community members, researchers, engineers, and designers to drive the strategy for inspiring new people to start and continue editing Wikipedia.
- You will also be an important part of defining a broader strategy for our Product department.
You are responsible for:
- Developing and driving strategy for the conversion funnel of new editors to Wikipedia.
- Becoming an expert in the goals and challenges of new editors joining the Wikipedia community from different backgrounds, geographies, and experiences.
- Leading the product development process to discover, define, develop, and deliver the features in the new editor experience.
- Setting priorities for a cross-functional product team of a designer, engineering manager, software engineers, QA engineer, data analyst, and community relations specialist.
- Collaborating with volunteer community members around the world who participate in the Growth team’s product development process.
- Collaborating with fellow product managers to define higher-level strategic priorities.
- Coordinating and collaborating across other departments, such as Marketing or Partnerships, that participate in the new editor experience.
- Releasing and iterating intentionally to provide incremental value and validate hypotheses.
- Using quantitative and qualitative methods to evaluate impact.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in relevant work experience.
- 3+ years of experience managing user-facing web products
- Demonstrated success in growing a new user base or in launching new features
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Experience working in an agile or iterative software development environment
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong listening skills
- Ability to clearly communicate plans and results to stakeholders and collaborators
- Ability to develop process and structure for an evolving team
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access.
Additionally, We’d Love it if you have:
- Experience with a two-sided platform or marketplace product
- Enthusiasm for users who love to create and contribute
- Experience building features for mobile devices
- Experience working with communities, volunteers, or open source projects.
- Experience with digital marketing tactics
- Experience with products backed by machine-learning
- Experience with fully remote, geographically distributed, and asynchronous teams
- Proficiency with data, reporting, analytics, or A/B testing
- Experience editing Wikipedia or contributing to other wiki projects
- Experience with users in emerging markets, such as the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, or Latin America
- Fluency in a language other than English.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online